Welcome to #summerthrowdown year 2!!!!!
Because we love our librarians, and don't want to wedge the stake of competition between us [Brian's description] we wanted a more collaborative and supportive experience, not a competitive experience.
We're still throwing down...but now it's ALL of us versus our huge piles of books!
Because this year is more of a readathon than a competition, we will have a slightly different objective. Certainly, little competitions will come up naturally [Brian's note: I'm going to try to not let Jillian beat me this year. . .let me rephrase: JILLIAN WILL NOT BEAT ME THIS YEAR!] [Jillian's sidenote: Hmmm, friendly competition to push me to read more. Challenge accepted.], but we do want to avoid making the entire thing a competition. That gets away from the idea of reading being its own reward.
Dates: July 1-31
- Upon signing up on the spreadsheet, the participants will put their Twitter handle (if they have one) as well as a reading goal for the month
- We will add up all these individual goals and that will be our overall target
- The spreadsheet will have a "countdown" in the upper left
- We will also try to beat last year's one-month total of 2,873.25 books read
- Reminder to help with goal setting: we averaged 17.8 books per person last year
- Book counting just got easier: if you read a book, any book, it counts as one book. So keep in mind what kinds of books you plan to read when setting your personal goal.
- Spreadsheet link
Together we are stronger...teachers and librarians united in reading.